Monday, November 30, 2009

The Muslim idea of Feminism (Part 1)

Part of me has been asking this question since I came into the class. If the women are empowered, what keeps them from speaking out more publicly? While I have searched for such demonstrations around, I have not seen many modern ones except in more culturally-acceptable areas like Egypt or sparse locations in the Middle East. Furthermore, the demonstrations seem to stay outside of public current events unless a major event or controversial point really comes into light.

As such, what dictates what Muslims want as Feminism? Do they want equal rights, or more to coincide with their religious beliefs while staying true to the strength of their gender? What keeps coming back to me are those in the higher-class wish to attain some form of higher standing instead. Are they attempting to trickle down?

No comments:

Post a Comment